- What type of support am I looking for ?
The first question to be answered is :
And above all it is important to understand
- What is the difference between e-learning and online exercise sites ?
Indeed, today, many websites offer online tutoring services. This type of service is less expensive than “traditional” support courses with a home-based trainer. There are even forms of mutual assistance between Internet users that offer free help. Here are some explanations to help you make the right choice.
Online tutoring can take different forms.
It is thus necessary to distinguish:
- forums, chats and blogs where teachers and/or students answer students’ questions, explain and correct their mistakes
- quizzes and interactive exercises that are a fun way for students to review and evaluate themselves but do not replace a personalized correction
- online files, course sheets, videos and summaries that can help students prepare a presentation or expand their knowledge
- online exercise sites based on a school system (French or Swiss) without personal support (the child is autonomous and works alone)
- digital training (e-learning), which are tutoring sites using structured and progressive learning methods.
- Paid supports with remote connection (Skype type) by a trainer on the model of home courses.
The criteria for choosing the right one
To choose an online tutoring site properly, first check that the content of the site is consistent with the curriculum.
Look for a site that is appropriate for your child’s age and needs.
For example, online tutoring is generally aimed at secondary school students. For primary school students, support sites can provide a one-time response and require the presence of an adult to supervise.
Similarly, online exercise sites, educational forums and blogs do not allow for an ongoing relationship with students.
If your child is having difficulty in a subject, opt for a paid subscription that provides regular help with assessments to monitor his or her progress.
Ideally, the follow-up should be personalized, such as coaching, to ensure that your child really works.